- Saturday 04 Nov 17, Sunday 03 Dec 17
- ….at 8am.
- 08 Oct 17 Induction – 11am
- 04 Feb 18 – Induction – TBA
- 29 Apr 18
- Jul 18 (after IRB crew has finished)
FOR AGE MANAGERS…
AGE MANAGER ONLINE COURSE – In response to feedback received, the forms at the back of the Age Managers Assessment Portfolio are now available in a separate ‘Age Managers Online Course Competency Record v1.0 July 2017’ for members who answer the review questions when completing the online course.
Rather than having to sift through the face-to-face training pages containing the same review questions they’ve completed in their final quiz, online course participants can easily download the relative forms they need to take to the beach for their technical and mentoring sessions.
Alternatively they can also simply rip out the last 2 pages to return to their club’s Junior Activities Committee. The competency record is exactly the same as the Assessment Portfolio except with the Age Manager Review questions removed and the Cover page’s intro sentence updated to reference the online course: ‘This competency record details the evidence you are required to submit to your age manager mentor (third-party) after completing the online SLSA Age Managers course.‘
An announcement will be made shortly in the members’ portal to let our members know that they have this resource available to complement the online course. As per the acknowledgements page of the Age Managers Learner Guide, all resources developed by SLSA are reviewed regularly and updated as required.
Andrew Martin, Chief Training Officer, Sawtell SLSC
BOARD TRAINING SESSIONS
Junior board squad – 2 sessions per week.
Junior elite short board squad – 3-4 sessions per week.
Junior Board Training. This takes place at 16.00 every Wednesday and 08.30 every Saturday at Coffs Jetty.
Junior elite and Senior Training. Please note that the training programme is subject to change, and varies between the off season, pre season and season.
Any prospective new squad members should contact either:
Click here to access 2017 early season training programme.
Courses are conducted both by Sawtell SLSC as well as North Coast Branch SLSNSW.
Where the course is conducted within the Club, information will be provided through email to members, newsletters to members and shown under the ‘Latest News’ section of the Club webpage.
As a guide, whilst the Club runs the following courses namely the Surf Rescue Certificate, Radio, Bronze Medallion/Cert 11 in Public Safety (Aquatic Rescue), IRB Crew, IRB Driver, ATV Operator Induction and Resuscitation, the Branch conducts the following courses namely Advanced Resuscitation Techniques(AID), First Aid(AID), Silver Medallion Aquatic Rescue, Silver Medallion Beach Management, RWC Operator, Training Officer Certificate and Assessor Certificate
For the Sawtell SLSC Education Calendar and information on upcoming courses… (Calendar updated 01Mar17), click on the following link: EDUCATION CALENDAR 2017
For information on, and to register for upcoming courses run by SLS North Coast, please click on the following link and go to ‘Courses’: SLS North Coast
SLSNSW is a Registered Training Organisation (RTO ID 90394) and operates as the “Australian Lifesaving Academy NSW”. Both the SLSC and SLS North Coast Branch are part of the Australian Lifesaving Academy NSW, and conduct nationally accredited courses with qualified trainers, assessors, and facilitators. For an overview of member education and training, click on the following link: Member Training SLSNSW
For enquiries regarding any course please contact Chief Training Officer Andrew Martin via email: firstname.lastname@example.org or via phone: 0419 485 401.
For course overview, pre-requisites, RPL (if applicable) and more, click on the following link and refer to the course of your interest: Lifesaving Awards SLSNSW
2017 Training Officer Course
We’re pleased to announce that subsidised cross-Branch Training Officer courses are again available to all SLSNSW members across the state. Thanks to federal funding, we have been able to subsidise the courses to an even greater degree than last season. During the weekend, participants will gain the skills and knowledge to confidently deliver Surf Life Saving awards to new and existing members.
· Port Macquarie – Provisional date 17th, 18th February 2018
· Hunter venue – Date TBC
Please note that the closing date for registration is four weeks before the course start date to allow time for the completion of pre-course work. For further information, please contact Sawtell Chief Training Officer Andrew Martin by email: email@example.com or via phone: 0419 485 401.
Aquatic Rescue & Public Safety Awards
- Surf Rescue Certificate (SRC). Covers the knowledge of basic patrolling and surf awareness in order to be able to participate in basic lifesaving operations. This course is also the minimum water safety qualification for Junior Activity supervision.
- Radio Operator. Covers the skills and knowledge to perform basic communication practices.
- Bronze Medallion / Certificate II in Public Safety (Aquatic Rescue). Covers the knowledge of basic patrolling and surf awareness in order to be able to participate in lifesaving operations.
- Silver Medallion Basic Beach Management. Covers the skills, knowledge and experience to manage a beach in emergency and non-emergency situations.
- Silver Medallion Aquatic Rescue. Covers the skills and knowledge to participate in search and rescue operations.
- Gold Medallion – Covers advanced skills and knowledge to manage emergency situations in autonomous situations.
- All Terrain Vehicle (ATV) Operator Induction. ATV Operator Inductions are available for club members who are a minimum of 17 years of age, proficient in at least one SLSA Award and hold a current, valid NSW Driver License (provisional or above). If you are interested in participating in an ATV induction and you fulfil the requirements please contact your club’s Chief Training Officer.
- Inflatable Rescue Boat (IRB) Crewperson. Covers with the skills and knowledge to effectively crew an IRB in surf rescue operations.
- Silver Medallion Inflatable Rescue Boat (IRB) Driver. Covers the skills and knowledge to effectively drive and manage an IRB in surf rescue operations.
- Rescue Water Craft (RWC) Operator. Covers the skills and knowledge to effectively drive and manage a Rescue Water Craft (RWC) in lifesaving operations.
First Aid Awards
- Advanced Resuscitation Techniques. Develops skills and knowledge to use oxygen, airway management devices, and automated external defibrillators (AEDs) during resuscitation, and to administer oxygen to conscious or unconscious breathing causalities.
- Apply (Senior) First Aid. Develops skills and knowledge to manage emergency first aid situations until professional medical support is available. This course is recognised by WorkCover NSW.
- Pain Management. Covers the skills and knowledge required to carry and administer Methoxyflurane.
- Spinal Management. Provides participants with the skills and knowledge to manage injured casualties with suspected spinal injuries in an aquatic environment and in emergency situations.
Please click on the relevant link/s below for further information: