FOR AGE MANAGERS…
AGE MANAGER ONLINE COURSE – In response to feedback received, the forms at the back of the Age Managers Assessment Portfolio are now available in a separate ‘Age Managers Online Course Competency Record v1.0 July 2017’ for members who answer the review questions when completing the online course.
Rather than having to sift through the face-to-face training pages containing the same review questions they’ve completed in their final quiz, online course participants can easily download the relative forms they need to take to the beach for their technical and mentoring sessions.
Alternatively they can also simply rip out the last 2 pages to return to their club’s Junior Activities Committee. The competency record is exactly the same as the Assessment Portfolio except with the Age Manager Review questions removed and the Cover page’s intro sentence updated to reference the online course: ‘This competency record details the evidence you are required to submit to your age manager mentor (third-party) after completing the online SLSA Age Managers course.‘
An announcement will be made shortly in the members’ portal to let our members know that they have this resource available to complement the online course. As per the acknowledgements page of the Age Managers Learner Guide, all resources developed by SLSA are reviewed regularly and updated as required.
Andrew Martin, Chief Training Officer, Sawtell SLSC
Courses are conducted both by Sawtell SLSC as well as North Coast Branch SLSNSW.
Where the course is conducted within the Club, information will be provided through email to members, newsletters to members and shown under the ‘Latest News’ section of the Club webpage.
As a guide, whilst the Club runs the following courses namely the Surf Rescue Certificate, Radio, Bronze Medallion/Cert 11 in Public Safety (Aquatic Rescue), IRB Crew, IRB Driver, ATV Operator Induction and Resuscitation, the Branch conducts the following courses namely Advanced Resuscitation Techniques(AID), First Aid(AID), Silver Medallion Aquatic Rescue, Silver Medallion Beach Management, RWC Operator, Training Officer Certificate and Assessor Certificate
Sawtell SLSC Education Calendar & info: SAWTELL SLSC – Training Calendar – 2018-19 (1)
SLS North Coast courses & info:
Silver Medallion Advanced First Aid – at Sawtell on 25th August starting at 9amSilver Medallion Aquatic Rescue – at Urunga on Fri 27th and Sat 28th September. Starting Fri night at 6.00pm, Saturday is all day from 9.00amFirst Aid(AID) – at Sawtell on either 5th October or 16th September. To Be ConfirmedSpinal and Pain Management – at Sawtell with Spinal in the morning and Pain in the afternoon* Please advise your members and have them express their interest to me via my email please – firstname.lastname@example.org
Trainers/Coaches/Assessors/Age Managers/Competition Managers please note:
Branch Education meeting – 8 September 2019 at Sawtell – all trainers/assessors to attend.
Branch Surf Sports meeting – 8 September 2019 at Sawtell after education meeting (approx 12.30pm) – open to coaches, officials, members Services, Nipper Age Managers, Competition Managers.
SLSNSW is a Registered Training Organisation (RTO ID 90394) and operates as the “Australian Lifesaving Academy NSW”. Both the SLSC and SLS North Coast Branch are part of the Australian Lifesaving Academy NSW, and conduct nationally accredited courses with qualified trainers, assessors, and facilitators. For an overview of member education and training, click on the following link: Member Training SLSNSW
For enquiries regarding any course please contact Chief Training Officer Andrew Martin via email: email@example.com or via phone: 0419 485 401.
For course overview, pre-requisites, RPL (if applicable) and more, click on the following link and refer to the course of your interest: Lifesaving Awards SLSNSW
Aquatic Rescue & Public Safety Awards
- Surf Rescue Certificate (SRC). Covers the knowledge of basic patrolling and surf awareness in order to be able to participate in basic lifesaving operations. This course is also the minimum water safety qualification for Junior Activity supervision.
- Radio Operator. Covers the skills and knowledge to perform basic communication practices.
- Bronze Medallion / Certificate II in Public Safety (Aquatic Rescue). Covers the knowledge of basic patrolling and surf awareness in order to be able to participate in lifesaving operations.
- Silver Medallion Basic Beach Management. Covers the skills, knowledge and experience to manage a beach in emergency and non-emergency situations.
- Silver Medallion Aquatic Rescue. Covers the skills and knowledge to participate in search and rescue operations. To commence training for the Silver Medallion Aquatic Rescue course you must meet the following course prerequisites:
➢ be at least 16 years of age on the date of final assessment
➢ complete a 400 metre swim in 8 minutes or less in a pool of no less than 25m length
➢ hold and be proficient in the SLSA Bronze Medallion (and hold the Certificate II in Public
Safety (Aquatic Search and Rescue)
- Gold Medallion – Covers advanced skills and knowledge to manage emergency situations in autonomous situations.
- All Terrain Vehicle (ATV) Operator Induction. ATV Operator Inductions are available for club members who are a minimum of 17 years of age, proficient in at least one SLSA Award and hold a current, valid NSW Driver License (provisional or above). If you are interested in participating in an ATV induction and you fulfil the requirements please contact your club’s Chief Training Officer.
- Inflatable Rescue Boat (IRB) Crewperson. Covers with the skills and knowledge to effectively crew an IRB in surf rescue operations.
- Silver Medallion Inflatable Rescue Boat (IRB) Driver. Covers the skills and knowledge to effectively drive and manage an IRB in surf rescue operations.
- Rescue Water Craft (RWC) Operator. Covers the skills and knowledge to effectively drive and manage a Rescue Water Craft (RWC) in lifesaving operations.
First Aid Awards
Advanced Resuscitation Techniques. Develops skills and knowledge to use oxygen, airway management devices, and automated external defibrillators (AEDs) during resuscitation, and to administer oxygen to conscious or unconscious breathing causalities.
Apply (Senior) First Aid. Develops skills and knowledge to manage emergency first aid situations until professional medical support is available. This course is recognised by WorkCover NSW.
Pain Management. Covers the skills and knowledge required to carry and administer Methoxyflurane. To commence training for the Pain Management Certificate you must meet the following entry requirements:
- be at least 18 years of age on the date of final assessment.
- be a financial member of an SLS club.
- meet your state licensing requirements of Schedule S4 drugs.
- be proficient in the SLSA award: Advanced Resuscitation Techniques Cert.
- hold the following units of competency: HLTAID003 Provide first aid; HLTAID007 Provide Advanced Resuscitation.
Spinal Management. Provides participants with the skills and knowledge to manage injured casualties with suspected spinal injuries in an aquatic environment and in emergency situations. To commence training for the Spinal Management course you must meet the following course prerequisites:
- be at least 15 years of age on the date of final assessment.
- be proficient in one of the following SLSA awards: Bronze Medallion or First Aid.
- hold one of the following units of competency: HLTFA211A or HLTAID002 Provide basic emergency life support or HLTAID003 Provide first aid.
Silver Medallion Advanced First Aid. To commence training for the SLSA Silver Medallion Advanced First Aid you must meet the following entry requirements:
- be at least 15 years of age on the date of final assessment.
- be a financial member of a club.
- be proficient in the following SLSA awards: Adv Resusc’ Techniques Certificate; Spinal Management Certificate.
- hold the following units of competency: HLTAID003 Provide first aid; HLTAID007 Provide advanced resuscitation. (Holding a current SLSA Advanced Resuscitation Techniques Certificate is an acceptable alternate to HLTAID007 Provide Advanced Resuscitation).
Members are encouraged to complete their skills maintenance online (negates printing of workbooks, answer sheets, certificates).
If a member completes the skills maintenance on line, the Chief Training Officer gets an automatic notification and a copy of the certificate.
Please click on the relevant link/s below for further information: